Thursday, August 4, 2011

Ear piercing! :D


So I got my ear pierced yesterday a third time with one of my best friends, and his wonderful mom. The piercing is an upper snug cartiledge piercing, and I love it because 1) it looks awesome 2) it's unique, and for anyone who knows me, they know that one of my worst fears is to become a cliche, so I don't like cliche piercings.

But I wanted to get a third piercing since I got my doubles on my birthday in february. Originally I was thinking I would get my rook pierced, but I guess after thinking about it enough, and looking at enough pictures, I didn't really like the placement. But then I discovered this and instantly saw it on my own ear, and my theory did not dissapoint, I think it looks wonderful. :)

Not only that, but I feel wonderful. Not to support finding self-worth in things, but strangely enough, I feel as though this piercing has given me a renewed sense of individuality and independence. Over the past couple months, I've been in the process of moving on from past things...More particularly, one thing: the breakup. I've been dwelling on it for so long, as though there was something I could have done to preserve a relationship that in the back of my mind, I wasn't willing to acknowledge was detremental to my own sense of self, the expectations I had for a strong relationship, and how I wanted to live my life. I would miss him, and the relationship, almost every day.

But I woke up the morning after the piercing, and I no longer had a connection to the past relationship. I thought to myself that this couldn't be right, and thought back to all the moments I had missed so dearly just days ago. There was no emotional connection. Somehow my mind was able to just recognize the entire thing as exactly what it was: something that happened in my past, that was a time of good memories, but that the aftershock of which, didn't need to be part of my future. All of a sudden, it wasn't something to mourn over. It was just...an event. A moment in time. And so I was overcome with a sense of complete peace, and in my perspective, closure. It was so refreshing, and the most comfortable I had felt in a while.

The most amazing thing? The man that pierced my ear, Julz, had been telling me and my friends that some people find a lot of healing in piercing; people who have just lost their jobs will come and get something pierced in reaction. But when he told us this, I in no manner applied it to myself. I saw it as an interesting fact, but I NEVER thought that something this simple would have such a positive impact on my emotional state.

It was quite possibly the most excruciating extended pain I've gone through, I can't sleep on the left side of my head, and cleaning it only makes it hurt worse. Trying to dull with lots of advil. But it's beautiful, and I would do it all over again, no regrets, the pain is worth it, and I love it.

To remind you all again: I did not get this piercing in response to anything that happened to me in some impulse-driven adventure. I wanted another piercing for a long time, and this seemed the opportune moment, to end the summer the right way before I headed off for college.

Hope you all like it as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment