Friday, August 12, 2011

So I lied...but it's ok :)

So I thought Ellie Goulding was my last concert, but my mission trip leader from my youth group treated me to an Etown concert at the Boulder Theatre for The Civil Wars.



First, I would like to talk about the "Etown experience." I had never been to Etown before and it was quite the pleasant surprise. They're a syndicated radio' music and talk' show, broadcast on 300 stations and podcasts worldwide. It's variety featuring live music and conversation, and a lot of humor to back it. So not only do the artists play some of their music, but the host sits and asks them questions, talking to them about their origin and getting personal, so that the audience can learn fun facts that they never would have learned otherwise. It's fun to know that our applause will be heard over the radio, and even more fun to see the behind-the-scenes action that doesn't air on the 1-hour program. I might even say I like Etown more than a regular concert (plus the fact that we get to sit in a pleasant atmosphere with polite people, instead of having to mosh with drunk obnoxious groupies with the scent of weed hanging in the air.) Everything about it was beautiful and poignant.

To sum up The Civil Wars; their performance, their history, their presence: Magic. Their music grants me such joy, I can't help but smile at every note. The band is composed of a man named John Paul White and woman named Joy Williams (some of you may know her as the former Gospel singer.) I learned from the Etown interview that these two songwriters met at a songwriting conference that neither of them wanted to go to in the first place. But once their voices collided, they both new it was meant to be. They've grown since then to be so admired that Taylor Swift even brought attention to them.

John Paul White is blessed with beautiful guitar skills, Joy Williams with a natural talent on the piano, and both of them the most magnificant vocals, with wide range, perfect pitch, and glorious harmony.

The co-act was the very talented Sarah Jarosz.



She learned the mandolin when she was 10, and performed in the Telluride Film Festival when she was only 17. This budding young artist brings a modern bluegrass vibe, with her accompanying cello and fiddle. She's made it so far in the music industry in such a short amount of her time, and she is a joy to listen to, and definetly considering buying some of her music.

All in all, it was a gorgeous and memorable concert, especially being my official last last summer concert. It was a perfect way to end the summer. Only 6 days left! :O mixed emotions, it's bitter sweet, but I can't wait to begin my next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment